Friday, June 1, 2012



Summer means I can finally read the books that I want. I generally enjoy assigned readings (rare books I did not like are Midaq Alley and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich), but these are books I am eager to read.

  • Economics. The Economist      I'm an economic major and I like the magazine
  • Power Trip. Amanda Little       good book on U.S energy dependency/security
  • A People's History of the United States. Howard Zinn    I'm curious about Zinn's version of History
  • Collapse. Jared Diamond     "Explores how humankind's use and abuse of the environment reveal the truth behind the world's greatest collapses..."
  • Oryx and Crake. Margaret Atwood      My former English teacher raved about it as a page turner
  • The White Man's Burden. William Easterly     My ongoing research on foreign aid
  • Wuthering Heights. Emily Bronte                     Heard a lot of hype about this book
  • Doctor Zhivago. Boris Pasternak                      It's Russian. I'll read anything Russian
  • The Plague. Albert Camus                              I loved The stranger and wants to read all his books
  • Beloved. Toni Morrison                                       Recommendation from my friend Emily
  • Midnight's Children. Salman Rushdie               This touches on history of India's Independence 
  • Brave New World. Aldous Huxley               My Brother gave me this book so I can read it and talk to him about Utopian society. We have VERY different opinions so it will be interesting to compare our views. 
I just finished reading Persuasion by Jane Austen and was very happy with the ending. Austen is brilliant in her ability to articulate all the little nuance of feelings. Her protagonist Anne Elliot, is similar to Elinor Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility. In both books, there is a juxtaposition of characters. Anne Elliot and Elinor Dashwood are quiet and prudent whereas Marianne Dashwood and Louisa Musgrove are more expressive with their feelings. Though Austen does not totally dismiss Marianne and Louisa of any merits, she does have an obvious preference for Anne and Elinor. I however, always related more to Marianne and Louisa. I do know people who would prefer I was more prudent and tactful (both wonderful qualities), but the idea of appearing sweet and delicate in manners is... so... unnatural for me. My parents (especially my Dad) have always told me to be 'cute' and agreeable so I don't know if I am merely rebelling against expectations for the sake of rebelling. I know people who are sweet and quiet  and I value them immensely, it's just not my natural disposition. I guess I'm not an Austen heroine.

2 comments:

  1. Oryx and Crake is amazing! Almost Orwellian, except for the Atwoodian bits. Your lack of prudence and all that is wonderful darling, because nobody who has access to the internet is an Austen heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I like about you... that you are just yourself and people can either love you or not! I think you are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete